Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - Istituto di Struttura della Materia
- Date of Birth: 12/10/1978
PhD in Material Science, University "La Sapienza", Rome / Institute of Material Structure (CNR), Rome
Title of Thesis: "CoPt-based thin PLD film systems for high density magnetic recording. Conventional and tilted perpendicular media"
Degree in Industrial Chemistry (110/110 cum laude), Università "La Sapienza”, Roma
- Work Experience
Occupation or position held: Contract: IONVAC Process S.r.L, Rome / Institute of Material Structure (CNR), Rome
Activity: Design, assembling and testing of a new “Multifunction Pulsed Laser Deposition” for the preparation of materials with high technological impact. Regional funds for SME innovation.
01/02/2007 – 30/09/2007
Occupation or position held: Contract
Institute of Material Structure (CNR), Rome / Universitat de Fisica Fonamental, Barcellona (Spain)
Activity: Preparation and characterization of nanostructured magnetic materials for technological applications (e.g. Hard Disk, systems for biomedical applications)
- International Experience
CRANN,Trinity College Dublin (Ireland) – 4 months (still in progress)
1) Electrochemical synthesis and characterization of magnetic barcode nanowires for biomedical applications. 2) Fabrication and characterization of block co-polymer thin films to be used as a template to prepare ordered arrays of nanodots.
Laboratoire Louis Néel, CNRS Grenoble (France) – 6 months
Assembling and testing of a new Pulsed Laser Deposition apparatus (EMAPLD), where magnetic and electric field are used for clean and selective deposition on pre-patterned substrates.
Universitat de Fisica Fonamental, Barcellona (Spain) – 2 weeks
Research activity carried out inside the above mentioned collaboration (01/02/2007 – 30/09/2007)
Istituto de Microelectronica, Madrid (Spain) – 2 weeks
Study of microstructural and magnetic properties of thin films for high density magnetic recording (CoPt tilted, (Co/Pd)n)
- Foreign Languages English, French Scientific
- Knowledge of the magnetic properties of the matter and correlated applications (e.g. Hard Disk, nanoparticles and nanowires for biomedical applications);
- Chemical and Physical synthesis (PLD, Electrochemistry) of micro/nanostructured materials (magnetic and not) for application in magneto recording and biomedicine (e.g. CoPt films, FePt nanoparticles, block co-polymer and Alumina membrane, magnetic nanowires…);
- Knowledge of techniques for structural (EDXD), microstructural (AFM, SEM) and magnetic (VSM, SQUID, AGFM) characterizations;
- Projecting and assembling of apparatus for the fabrication of micro/nanostructured materials;
- Knowledge of vacuum and cryogenic systems;
- Main known software: Office, Origin, Latex, Photoshop, Video Editing Software (Premiere, Virtual-Dub), AutoCAD.
- Further Information:
Chemist Professional qualification (Rome, 21/01/2005);
Participations to 3 European projects (HIDEMAR, NANOSPIN, TERAMAGSTOR) and different national projects (FILAS, FIRB, FISR);
Number of works presented to national and international conferences: 9 Oral (3 Invited), 16 Poster;
Number of papers published on international journals: 9.
- Recent Publications
- “Magnetic anisotropy and intergrain interactions in L10 CoPt(111)/Pt(111)/MgO(100) PLD granular films with tilted easy axes”. G. Varvaro, E. Agostinelli, S. Laureti, A.M. Testa, J.M. García-Martin, F. Briones, and D. Fiorani, J. Phys. D: Applied Physics, vol. 41, p. 134017, 2008
- “Study of magnetic easy axis 3D-arrangement in L10-CoPt(111)/Pt(111)/MgO(100) tilted system for perpendicular recording”. G. Varvaro, E. Agostinelli, S.Laureti, A. M. Testa, A. Generosi, B.Paci, and V.Rossi Albertini, IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol 44(5), p. 643, 2008
- “Effect of the oxygen partial pressure on PLD cobalt oxide film”. S. Laureti, E. Agostinelli, G. Scavia, G. Varvaro, V. R. Albertini, A. Generosi, B. Paci, A. Mezzi and S. Kaciulis. Appl. Surf. Sci., Vol 254, p. 5111, 2008