Laurea in Physics (Solid State), University of Rome, July 1967.
– 1967-1968: second lieutenant of the Italian Air Force at the radar defense system
– 1969-1970: postdoctoral fellow of the Italian Industry Confederation, at the semiconductor group of Physics department, University of Rome.
– 1970 – present: staff member of the Italian National Research Council (CNR)
– 1970-1974: at the CNR Solid State Electronics Laboratory, Rome.
– 1975-1977: at the Synchrotron .Radiation Project (PULS), Frascati National laboratory.
– 1977-1978: NATO fellowship at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory; Material and Molecular Research Laboratory.
– 1979-1983: at the Synchrotron Radiation Project, Frascati, (responsible of the photoemission facility).
– 1983-present: at the Istituto di Struttura della Materia (I.S.M., C.N.R.) and responsible of the photoemission facility of Frascati.
– 1987-present: “Capo Reparto” of the Synchrotron Radiation Activity at I.S.M.
– May-August 1981: Visiting Professor at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
– July-August 1982: Visiting Professor at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
– July-August 1983: Visiting Professor at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
– July-August 1984: Visiting Professor at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
– July-August 1986: Visiting Scientist at IBM Research Laboratory Zurich.
– Jun 1998: Visiting Scientist at Marseille University, France
– July 1991: “Dirigente di Ricerca” of the Italian National Research Council.
– May 1988-luglio 2008: Director of Istituto di Struttura della Materia (CNR).
– President Area di Ricerca Tor Vergata
– Member of the Scientific Committee of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility of Grenoble.
– Member of the Scientific Committee of the “Laboratorio TASC” in Trieste.
– Member of “Comitato di Controllo” of “Progetto Finalizzato Materiali per Tecnologie Avanzate”.
– Member of “Comitato Luce di Sincrotrone del CNR”
– Member Comitato Scientifico CNR-Università di Camerino
– Member Comitato Scientifico CNR-Università di Perugia
– Member Comitato Scientifico PASTIS-Centro nazionale per la ricerca e sviluppo dei materiali S.C.P.A. Mesagne, Brindisi.
– Member of “Consiglio di Amministarzione” of CNR (1998).
– Member of “Comitato Direttivo” of INFN.
– 1974-1975: teacher of “Laboratorio Fisica II”, University of Rome “La Sapienza”.
– 1979-1980: teacher at “Scuola di Perfezionamento in Fisica “, University of Rome “La Sapienza”.
– 1983-1984: teacher of “Fisica dello Stato Solido”, University of Aquila.
– 1984-1985: teacher of “Fisica dello Stato Solido”, University of Aquila.
Responsible of the following thesis at the University of Rome:
– “Heterojunction Systems”, Dr. M Antichi.
– “Heterojunction Properties and Detection in the Near-IR”, Dr. C. Coluzza.
– “Photoemitting Diodes”, Dr. F. Cerrina.
– “Electron Energy Loss in the Ge-Au System”, Dr. F. Sette.
– “Synchrotron Radiation Photoemission of Amorphous Si and Ge semiconductors”, Dr. C. Capasso.
– “Intralayer Induced Band Discontinuities Modification in the GaP-Si Heterojunction’, Dr. B. Russo.
– “Synchrotron Radiation Photoemission Study of the GaAs-Ge Heterojunction”, Dr. C. Vaccarezza.
– “Electron spectroscopies on transition metal-GaAs interfaces”, Dr. Maria Vittoria Marabello.
– “Direct and Inverse Photoemission Studies of Band Discontinuities in GaAs-Ge Heterojunctions”, Dr. C. Ottaviani.
Solid State Physics, Surface Physics, with experience on direct and inverse photoemission, LEED, Auger analysis, synchrotron radiation. More than two hundreds thirty papers have been published on the following subjects: Heterojunction IR Detectors, Photoemitting Diodes, Metal-Semiconductor Interfaces, Heterojunctions, EXAFS and Surface-EXAFS, CO Chemisorption on Ni, Resonant Photoemission in Semiconductors, Amorphous Semiconductors of Group IV, Scanning Probe microscopy (AFM, SNOM) on materials of interest for microelecronics and biology.