Scientific interest and activity : Investigation of fundamental processes (excitation, single and multiple ionization, dissociation and fragmentation) in atoms and molecules via electron impact and photon absorption and their applications ; role of electron correlation in two-electron processes; spectroscopy and chemical reactivity of dications; development of novel instrumentation for electron spectroscopies. Author of about 210 papers in referred journals.
Education and Qualifications
|May 2014||Director of Istituto di Struttura della Materia (ISM)-CNR|
|April 2008||May 2014||Director of Istituto di Metodologie e dei Plasmi (IMIP)-CNR|
|2002||2008||Coordinator of the area “Dynamics of atomic and molecular processes” of CNR-IMP|
|2002||Research Director at Istituto di Metodologie e dei Plasmi (IMIP)-CNR, Rome|
|2001||2008||Scientist in charge of the Gas Phase Photoemission Beamline project at Elettra Synchrotron, Trieste|
|1997||2002||Senior Scientist at Istituto di Metodologie Avanzate Inorganiche (IMAI)-CNR-Rome|
|1984||1997||Researcher at Istituto di Metodologie Avanzate Inorganiche (IMAI)-CNR-Rome|
|1982||1983||Post doc at EU Central Bureau for Nuclear Measurements (CBNM) Geel, Belgium|
|1979||1982||Post doc at Laboratorio Raggi X ,Università di Milano|
|October 1979||Degree (Laurea) in Physics Università di Milano Thesis “Application of Statistical Multistep Direct Emission theory to experimental data”|
- 1985 Italian Physical Society “Young researcher award”
International Experience and collaborations
- 1982-1983 Post doc at EU Central Bureau for Nuclear Measurements (CBNM) Geel, Belgium; 1987 and several short periods (2-3 weeks) up to 1995 Visiting scientist at Physics and Astronomy Department University of Manchester (Prof. G.C. King); 1995 (6 months) -1996 (1 month) Max Planck visiting scientist at the Fritz Haber Institute-Berlin (Prof. U. Becker); 1998-2001-2005-2008 Professor Invitè at Universitè Paris XI.
- 1988-1989 Italian PI of a bilateral Program CNR-British Council ; 1990-1993 Italian PI of a bilateral Program CNR-Royal Society (UK); 1992-1993 Italian PI of the NATO-CRG920101 “The ionization of neutral atoms by photon and electron impact”( PI : C.T. Whelan DAMPT University of Cambridge); 1996-1998 PI of the NATO CRG960141 “Inner Valence Ionization/Excitation of Molecules”; 1994-1997 Italian representative in the Council of the European Synchrotron Radiation Society; 2005-2007 and 2008-2009 Italian PI of the project “Novel correlation effects in multi-photoionization and Auger processes” (Bilateral agreement CNR-Russian Academy of Science).
- 2008 Representative of CNR Italy in the board of EPS (together with Prof. E. Molinari)
Member of the International Scientific Committee of the International Workshop on Photoionization (San Francisco 1994, Chester 1997, Marseille 2000), the International Symposium on (e,2e), Double Photoionization and Related Topics (Vancouver 1995, Brest 1998, Bejing 1999, Rolla 2001, Metz 2002, Konigstein 2003 and Louvain La Neuve 2004), the International Conference on Many Particle Spectroscopy of Atoms, Molecules and Solids (Halle 2000, Paris 2008), the XIV International Conference on vacuum ultraviolet radiation physics (Cairns 2004).
Member of the general Committee of the International Conference on Photonic, Electronic and Atomic Collisions (1997-2001, 2005-2009)
- Since 1999 member of the editorial board of the journal “Notiziario Neutroni e Luce di Sincrotrone”
- 2007 Editor with G. Stefani of the Special issue of Journal of Electron Spectroscopy (161, October 2007) “Many Particle Spectroscopy of Atoms, Molecules and Solids”
1980-1982 Physics lab- 3rd year students (Università di Milano); 1983-1984 Course “Atomic and nuclear techniques for elemental analysis” (Università di Milano); 1986-1987 Experimental Physics (Università della Basilicata); 1989-1997 Physics (Università Cattolica sede di Brescia); 1995-1996 Modern Physics (Università Cattolica sede di Brescia); 1997-1998 Experimental Physics – (Università Cattolica sede di Brescia); 1998 Electron Spectroscopy (Scuola Normale Superiore – Pisa); Supervisor of several “tesi di laurea” and Phd thesis ((Universities of Milano, Brescia, Perugia and Rome “La Sapienza” ); External Examiner for Phd thesis and “Habilitation a diriger des recherches”. Tutor of CNR post-doctoral scholarship and TRIL (Training in Italian laboratories) scholarship of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP, Trieste)
Experience as referee and assessor
Referee for Physical Review Letters, Physical Review A, Journal of Physics B, Journal of Electron Spectroscopy and Related Phenomena, Journal of Chemical Physics, Journal of Physical Chemistry; Referee for special issues of Journal de Physique, Chemical Physics and Canadian Journal of Physics; 1996, 1997 Assessor of the Large Research Grants Program- Australian Research Council; 1998 Assessor of the Research Program of the Peter Wall Institute (Canada) ; since 1998 Referee of the COFIN e PRIN programs of the Italian Ministry of University and Research; 2005 Assessor of the Italian Ministry of University and Research for the CIVR action 2003-2007 and Jan. 2008 member of the Facility Access Panel of the Synchrotron Radiation Source (Daresbury,UK);
Organisation of international conferences and schools
August 1997 (Frascati) Int. Symposium on (e,2e), Double Photoionisation and Related Topics (with G. Stefani, R. Camilloni and S. Iacobucci); December 2003 (Berlin) ESF Workshop on “Opportunities and challenges for atomic and molecular science at the new European VUV- and X-FEL sources” (with U. Becker); February 2005 (Trieste) “Second Italian – Australian Workshop on future directions in spectroscopy and imaging with synchrotron radiation” (with K. Prince and M. Kiskinova); November 2005 (Trieste) EU-I3 Workshop on “Two colour experiments at synchrotron radiation sources: present and future” (with K. Prince and R. Richter); June 2006 (Rome)Int. Conf. on Many Particle Spectroscopy of Atoms, Molecules and Solids (with G. Stefani); October 1996 (Maratea) European School for Synchrotron Radiation (with M. Cooper, University of Warwick, and D. Maes, University of Bruxelles) within the EU-Training and Mobility Program