Gloria Zanotti graduated in Chemistry in February 2007 with an experimental thesis entitled “Synthesis of functionalized unsaturated lactones through intramolecular enyne metathesis”.
During her career she has gained a considerable experience in the preparation, purification and spectroscopic characterization of organic and metallorganic molecules, achieving a good knowledge of synthesis methods used in organic and inorganic chemistry. While her graduation thesis has been focused on the formation of lactones as direct precursors of natural fragrances, her PhD and postdoc activity which is also her current one is mainly focused on the fundamental and applied aspects of macrocyclic-based dyes. Phthalocyanines, porphyrins and related compounds possess some really interesting properties that collocate these materials among the promising ones for technological application in fields such as photonics, optoelectronics, chemical sensors, photovoltaic devices, photodynamic therapy, catalysis, etc.
More specifically, her expertise has been used in the following activities:
- November 2007 – October 2010: She has been a PhD student involved in the CHOSE (Center for Hybrid and Organic Solar Energy) project, a collaboration between “Regione Lazio” and the University of Roma “Tor Vergata” sharing the considerable intention to realize a Centre of Excellence for the research and development of a new generation solar cells based on organic and organic-inorganic hybrid technologies. Specifically, the goal of her PhD thesis was the synthesis of new macrocyclic dyes as sensitizers for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells (DSSC).
- March 2010 – September 2010 she has joined the group of Prof. Tomas Torres at the Autònoma University of Madrid as a visiting PhD student.
- November 2010 – January 2011 She has completed her work in the CHOSE project as a scholarship holder.
- May 2011: She has obtained her PhD degree with European label in Sensorial and Learning System Engineering at the University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, with a thesis titled ”Synthesis of axially and peripheral substituted phthalocyanines for dye sensitized solar cells”.
- Since June 2011 she is a postdoctoral researcher at the National Council of Research (CNR) in Rome and is involved in the triennial EFOR (Energie da FOnti Rinnovabili) project, which is funded by the Ministero dell’Economia e delle Finanze (MEF) and whose aim is to build up new innovative third generation photovoltaic devices having fabrication costs lower than 1€/Wp, efficiencies higher than 7% and lifetime higher than 20 years. Reaching this targets could allow the effective diffusion of photovoltaic energy, which is nowadays actually affordable only with a subsidy from the government.
- In 2013 she has worked in the MIUR’s Progetto premiale 7% CNR “Energia da fonti rinnovabili” synthesizing new phthalocyanine-based dyes for bulk-heterojunction solar cells.
- In 2013 she has been a referee for the Wiley journal “ChemElectroChem”
Conferences and workshops
- Angelini, N.; Paoletti, A.M.; Pennesi, G.; Rossi, G.; Zanotti, G.; Lenci, F.; Ghetti, F. “Sensitizing effect of nanocrystalline TiO2 films by phthalocyanines and porphyrins” Fifth international Conference of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines (ICPP5) Mosca (Russia) 6-11 Luglio 2008. Poster presentation
- Zanotti, G.; Angelini, N.; Notarantonio, S.; Paoletti, A.M.; G. Pennesi, G.; Rossi, G.; Di Carlo , A.; Colonna, D.; Lembo, A. “Substituted bridged iron phthalocyanines: new dyes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells” 13th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology Wroclaw (Poland) 5-10 Settembre 2009. Talk.
- Zanotti, G.; Angelini, N.; Notarantonio, S.; Paoletti, A.M.; G. Pennesi, G.;Rossi, G.; Di Carlo , A.; Colonna, D.; Lembo, A. “Substituted bridged iron phthalocyanines: new dyes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells” First international meeting on organic materials for a better future (FUTURMAT1) Ostuni (Italy) 12-16 Settembre 2009. Talk.
- Angelini, N.; Notarantonio, S.; Paoletti, A.M.; Pennesi, G.; Lembo, A.; Colonna, D.; Di Carlo, A.; Reale, A.; Zanotti, G.; Rossi, G. “A novel unsymmetrical Zinc Phthalocyanine for Dye-sensitized Solar Cells” Hybrid and Organic Photovoltaics Conference (HOPV2010) Assisi (Italy) 23-27 Maggio 2010. Poster presentation.
- Zanotti, G.; Angelini, N.; Notarantonio, S.; Paoletti, A.M.; Pennesi, G.; Toro, R.; Ingo, G.; Rossi, G. “A new heteroleptic porphyrin/phthalocyanine dyad for TiO2 sensitization” 1st Workshop on Photovoltaics: New frontiers and applications Lecce (Italy) 28-30 Settembre 2011 Talk.
- Zanotti, G.; Angelini, N.; Paoletti, A.M.; Pennesi, G.; Rossi, G.; Amore Bonapasta, A.; Mattioli , G. “New porphyrin-like dyes for photoelectrochemical devices” Second international meeting on organic materials for a better future (FUTURMAT2) Brindisi (Italy) 16-20 Settembre 2012 Talk.
- Angelini, N.; Notarantonio, S.; Paoletti, A.M.; Pennesi, G.; Rossi, G.; Zanotti, G. “π-Extended macrocycles: from syntheses to materials and devices” Italian Meeting on Porphyrins and Phtalocyanines (IMPP1) Roma (Italy) 1-3 Luglio 2013. Talk.